Gallery/Studio

Gallery/Studio

Why Visit Us?

It’s our job as artists to keep art alive by being accessible, by educating, by interacting with our community and sharing information. Studio M is about meeting the artists, seeing them in action, wandering around their studios, and experiencing that world apart where the artist pauses to envision and create. It’s a richer and more personal experience than your typical gallery visit.Come see us, we would love to share our work, get your feedback, create something for or with you.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Featuring A.C. Brown





Meet Artist A.C. Brown...Audacious
If you are looking for the definition of Southern Gentleman , you will find Dr. A. C. Brown's picture next to those words. Let's listen to what he has to say.

Tell me about your work? As a member of the Silent Generation, and growing up in the South during the Great Depression, I am portraying scenes and people of the South that will never be seen again.

What or who influences you and why create what you create?
My wife encourages me in art and oil painting as advisor, critic, soul mate, and mother of my three beautiful children. Hopefully my art will be a legacy for them. I create a southern story about each painting that brings life to the painting.

2. You worked in other careers. How has your previous work/ life influenced your art? Since retiring from a satisfying career in Medicine for over 50 years, art has opened a new door. My practice of Medicine introduced me to the fraility of the human condition in different environments. My patients taught me not only about their disease complaints, but shared their heart and soul. This experience has influenced my paintings and hopefully my passion shows in the created work.

3.What are you working on now? My paintings present and future are based on the historical past of the South, which is recorded in black and white film and negatives. I am previledged to have access to the historical Archives of The Eudora Welty Foundation/the Mississippi State Archives, personal collections, courtesy publications of different southern states, and the Archives of the State of Georgia.

4. What do you see as your greatest challenge as an artist? GROWTH ....remember the past is only yesterday.

5. If you could give one piece of advice to anyone who wants to create for a career, what would it be? As Winston Churchill said when he took up painting late in life, one trait, one quality, and just one word describes that requirement, AUDACITY......I say ditto, in other words "go for it and continue to learn along the way." AC

No comments:

Post a Comment